morebrainslessboobz

More Brains Less Boobz

Literature Major. Potterhead & Booktuber. x.

The Five Love Languages (Singles Edition) by Gary Chapman

The Five Love Languages Singles Edition - Gary Chapman
** 4.0/5 **

This book serves as a complement to the original Five Love Languages which is geared toward married couples. According to this book every person has a primary love language and in order for a relationship to be successful we must learn and understand our boyfriend's (or girlfriend's) primary love language and learn to speak it. The five are: Gifts, Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service & Physical Touch. Although most of us relate and need more than one of these we all have one primary one. Chapman does an excellent job at breaking things down simply without losing depth. It's a fast read and all in all, I really enjoyed it. I picked it up because as someone who is single and dating it seemed like something that would be helpful.

I did have some issues with it though, which is why I gave it four stars not five. At times the author makes this book seem like the end all to be all solution to all relationship problems, which it's not. Relationships are complicated and in actuality communication is really only one facet of a marriage. What this book is, is a good foundation any relationship will fail without a good foundation and without good communication. It will help you understand more about yourself and how you love, as well as how others love. Although the book is written from a Christian standpoint, anyone can easily pick up this book and relate to it regardless. But if you are someone who isn't Christian certain themes and viewpoints of the author might be off putting. I would definitely recommend this book to others and I feel this edition in particular expanded to all kinds of relationships not just romantic ones. Put simply reading this book is like losing a pair of sunglasses, only to find they've been on top of your head the entire time. - it unravels things that should be common sense and right in front of our eyes but which most of us forget in the throws of dating or a relationship. Worth the read.

Overall message is still powerful despite its imperfections.
And if you're wondering my primary love language
is Acts of Service.

Curious about yours? Take the quiz
here and let me know what yours is!